General Terms & Conditions 2017:1
These terms and conditions apply to all services JURIE ADVOKAT AB, a single attorney, lawyer or other person working at the Firm provides unless otherwise agreed or by virtue of mandatory law or the Swedish Bar Association's guiding rules of professional conduct.
1. The case – At the beginning of a case, the scope of the Firm’s services and how the work should be organised are agreed. The agreement for the case is a contract with the Firm and not an agreement or a case with a private attorney, lawyer or other person working at the Firm. Therefore, these persons have no personal liability to you beyond what follows by mandatory law. Unless otherwise specifically agreed, the Firm’s counsel cover neither taxes nor possible tax consequences.
2. Acceptance of a client - By law, before starting the work the Firm is obligated to verify the client's identity and ownership. The Firm may therefore ask for identity documents regarding parties involved in the matter and the persons who have ultimate control over a client that is a legal entity, as well as information and documentation indicating the origin of funds. To meet the Firm’s duty to verify the information provided, the Firm may also need to collect information from external sources. The Firm is required by law to report suspicions of money laundering and terrorism financing to the Finance Intelligence Unit. Where there are suspicions, the Firm is prevented by law from informing you thereof or that a notification has been made or could be made.
3. Personal Data - Personal data provided to the Firm will be dealt with by the Firm in the preparation, administration and fulfillment of the assignment and for marketing purposes and development of the Firm’s services. Personal data may be supplemented with information from private and public registers. The Firm is responsible for the proper handling of personal data. To meet the Firm’s statutory obligations under section 2 above, the Firm may also need to collect, store, process and use your representatives’ and beneficiaries’ personal data. You are responsible for ensuring that these persons consent to such use. By hiring the Firm, you are deemed to have consented that the Firm collects stores, processes and uses personal data as specified in this section.
4. Fees and expenses - The Firm will charge a reasonable fee for the work performed. Unless otherwise agreed, invoicing takes place monthly. In assessing what is a reasonable fee for a case, the scope, nature, complexity, value involved, time pressure and achieved results shall be taken into consideration. Fees are exclusive of VAT and similar taxes. Travel and other expenses are charged separately. Unless otherwise agreed, the Firm’s invoices are due for payment 20 days after the invoice date. In case of non-payment by the due date, penalty interest will follow by law.
5. Cooperation with other counsel - The Firm has an extensive network of attorneys in Sweden and abroad. If specifically agreed, the Firm will assist you in finding and instructing other counsel. If the Firm instructs, engages and / or works together with other counsel, they shall be deemed to be independent of the Firm. The Firm assumes no responsibility or liability for the services of another counsel or for their execution of a case, nor for the fees and costs that other counsels charge.
6. Communication - Unless otherwise agreed the Firm communicates with its clients and other parties via the Internet and email. The Firm does not assume any responsibility for the risks that may result from different means of communication. The Firm’s spam and virus filters and other security arrangements may sometimes reject or filter out even a legitimate e-mail. Therefore, you should use other forms of communication to follow up an important e-mail to the Firm.
7. Intellectual property - Copyright and other intellectual property rights in products the Firm has generated for clients belong to the Firm, but you have the right to use such products for the purposes for which they are provided. Unless otherwise agreed, no document or product generated by the Firm may be generally circulated or used for marketing purposes or the like.
8. Confidentiality - The information that you provide to the Firm is subject to confidentiality under the Swedish Bar Association's guiding rules of professional conduct. When a particular case has become publicly known, the Firm may disclose its involvement in the marketing of the Firm and use such information that is already in the public domain or that you may have otherwise agreed to.
9. Limitation of Liability - The Firm is liable towards you for damage caused by intent or gross negligence by the Firm and a lawyer, attorney or other person working at the Firm when performing the services to you. The Firm's liability is limited to an amount equal to the greater of five times the fee for the assignment and 20 million SEK. The Firm is not liable for any loss or damage arising from the use of the Firm’s work or counsel in another context or for purposes other than for which they were given. Claims relating to counsel by the Firm shall be submitted as soon as you become aware of the facts on which the claim is based. Claims may not be submitted later than twelve months after the later of (a) the date of the last invoice was issued for the assignment to which the claim relates, and (b) the day on which the circumstances were known to you or, after a reasonable search, could have been known to you.
10. Governing law and dispute resolution – The agreement with the Firm is governed by Swedish law. Any dispute, controversy or claim arising out of or in connection with this contract, or the breach, termination or invalidity thereof, shall be finally settled by arbitration in accordance with the Arbitration Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce. The seat of arbitration shall be Stockholm. The language to be used in the arbitral proceedings shall be Swedish. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, the Firm is entitled to commence proceedings for the payment of any amount due to the Firm in any court having jurisdiction over you.
11. Amendments - These terms may be amended by the Firm. Unless otherwise agreed, assignments are governed by the terms and conditions valid when the Firm accepted the assignment. The latest version of the terms and conditions are available at the Firm's website www.jurie.se